Friday, December 21, 2012

Having a charitable Christmas!

Remember my post about St. Jude's hospital advertising? How I said I've been running to the mailbox every day while waiting for a few Christmas gifts to come in? They're finally here and I'm really excited about them! I ordered two t-shirts from HIS Home for Children; one for my mom and one for my grandmother. When my grandfather passed away in July, we asked that all donations be sent to this organization. I thought that for our first Christmas without him, these would be thoughtful gifts for them.


I heard about this charity because a woman from my town is very involved with them and so news about it has made it's way into our newspaper and local television news. She delivers formula to the children there at the orphanage in Haiti - I believe her last trip was in October, and I think there's another one coming up soon. Anyway, my mom contacted her at one point about buying some formula to donate and ever since then HIS Home has been a charity that we support when we can. I was really excited to buy those shirts because each shirt purchased provides a school uniform for a child at HIS Home! It's really nice to give a gift that you can feel good about. 

I've also been anxiously awaiting their arrival because I've really been wanting to write about them on here with the hope of raising some awareness about them and maybe even getting some people to support the children there.

HIS Home for Children is...
  • Located in Port au Prince, Haiti, with a U.S. office in Ohio
  • Home to approximately 140 children - some are orphans, some have been given up to the home by parents who are unable to provide for them
  • A provider of meals, vitamins, medicine, and purified drinking water 
  • A school for children age five and older, which teaches in both English and Creole (and French for older children), with four-year-olds attending pre-school, and Sunday school on Sundays followed by worship led by a Pastor who is also one of the founders of HIS Home (wow, that was definitely a run-on sentence...)

You can help them by...
  • Praying - the first thing on the list of needs on their website is prayers, for both the children and the staff
  • Donating (monetarily) - the annual rent for three homes is $38,500! They also need money for food, clothes, etc. You can donate through their website.
  • Donating (items) - Formula, vitamins, cloth diapers, etc. are expensive and/or hard to find in Haiti. Click the "Our Needs" tab on their website for more information about the items they need.
  • Sponsoring a child 
  • Donating to the milk money ministry
There's so much more about them, their Earthquake Relief, photos of the children, etc. that you can find on their website and I definitely encourage you to look into it. 

(all information above was found on hishomeforchildren.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment